0


I am Tricia and this is my story.

I am the 4th child and 3rd girl in a family of five children. I was barely 12 years old when I had my first cycle. It was one evening, I was playing with my friends, when they suddenly saw me bleeding and screamed for fear that I had been badly injured. They took me home amidst tears to my mum, who just returned from work. She thanked and dismissed them. She asked me to stop crying, helped me wash up and change, and also gave me her sanitary towel to use, with plans to get a better one for me the next day. She then sat me down, and told me I had no reason to fear, but to realise that my journey to womanhood had begun. She gave me several tips on how to monitor and take care of myself whenever I saw it.

I had various failed attempts at understanding the whole cycle thing, which led to embarrassing moments - one happened during a drama rehearsal, and I had to shyly leave. Thankfully, I was able to get a grip of it by the time I turned 14 and had no cause for alarm. My Mum’s discussion with me at 12 years, made become well aware of implications of having intimate relationship with the male folks, so I was a bit cautious when I was with them. I was a pretty young girl, so had so many boys with their eyes on me, those who wanted to be best friends with me, I politely declined.

However, when I got into senior secondary school, I moved into the boarding section of the school and that’s how I met Tina. We became very close and were best friends till we graduated. This also made our classmates name us T-Square. Tina was from a very wealthy home, and being the only girl in her family, she got almost all she wanted. She was a bit different from me socially – she was an attention seeker, especially from the guys, whether interested or not. I tried few times to talk her out of that, she excused her actions with the fact that she grew up with boys, so like to be around them. After several failed attempts, I decided to let her be. She was basically a nice girl, who I also took as my sister, and I didn’t want anything to ruin our friendship.
After our entrance exams we both got admitted into same campus to study Law. We were both excited and remained friends on campus. One evening as we returned from study, we got talking….

Tina: T-gal, there’s something I’ve been wanting to tell you.

Tricia: ok dear, I’m all ears.

Tina: I’ve been feeling lonely…for a while now.

Tricia: (surprised)...you? lonely?... how possible is that with all the friends you have...? plus, I’m here too.

Tina: yea… it’s just that I have a crush on...


Tricia: (interrupts) Crush? On who?

Tina: Sammy…, but he hardly notices me, and he seems consumed with other pretty ladies.

Tricia: (laughs) you’re beautiful my friend, but having a crush on Sam. It’s ridiculous.

Tina: it’s not funny… Tricia, I’m serious…we’re 21 and don’t have one guy to call our own… and please don’t start to preach to me.

Tricia: I understand girl, look being a believer does not mean I’ve got no feelings. But first things first. This is not a good time to talk about crush or whatever. We’ve got exams in three months, we need to start early to cover our large work load of courses. You need to fight off this distraction.

Tina: But I can’t… I think I’m already falling in love with him... I can’t help it.

Tricia: Of course you can… it’s just an infatuation…and can wane... I can help you… see, I have a Singles’ group in fellowship. We do not live in denial of the feeling of wanting to be with the opposite sex, rather we admit it’s natural, but through God’s word and Godly counsel from older believer’s we learn and practice pure friendship without being infatuated or lustful.

Tina: Like for real? I had expected a much better assistance from you… since you’re very pretty and Sam obviously worships the floor you tread on, though you have totally shunned him, you can at least lure him for me. What are friends for?

Tricia: What?! Me?!! Why on earth would I do that? – that’s pushing my best friend off a cliff to crash and lose her future.

Tina: oh! I’m sorry, I forgot you’re the best student and wish to die in books…maybe marry your books too. As for me, I’ll do whatever it takes to get him.
With that, Tina walks away.

Tricia:  Tina! Tina!!... but no response. (Thinking) what has come over her? Can she be walking away from our friendship over some guy?

Well, that was how our closeness waned. Sam was a handsome, uncultured “Fox” – you know, the type of student that hid to read but outwardly seemed unserious and played away with unsuspecting ones. I silently hoped my friend Tina would get over this obsession on him. It was not really long, Sam got hooked on her…. They spent most times together and got pretty intimate as I later got to know. I did not see much of her once they got together.
During those weeks, I went to study alone and almost got used to it. One of the evenings though, I saw a happy Tina walk towards me, blushing.

Tina: Guess What?

Tricia: What? You know I’m not good at guessing

Tina: Just try?

Tricia: Ok… your Dad has sent in the gown and jewelries for your next birthday from UK?

Tina: T-gal!!... No…. Not that

Tricia: Alright, sorry, please just tell me

Tina: I’m Sam's girlfriend now… it feels so nice to have him finally with me.

Tricia: oh! Really?

Tina: Yea… Aren’t you happy for me? Or you’re being Jealous I left you on the single lane?

Tricia: (Smiles) Me? Jealous?... I’m not… I just didn’t think that was a cause of excitement… plus you’ve totally kept me at a distance for a while now.

Tina: well, you don’t have experience about being in love(smiles). Also I’m sorry I left, I needed to get what I need, so I don’t remain alone like you…. but basically I’m back now and in love too.

Tricia: Alright “Coupled Tina” …. just be careful and safe. Remember, “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” 1. Peter 5:8. Please, Don’t lose your pearls to the swine.

Tina:  Pastor T…Not to worry, I won’t...this is not boarding house… this is campus, I’m a big girl now, I’ll be fine.
(I had no idea that Tina, after few weeks of intimate relations with Sam, being deflowered, inwardly envied the fact I was still holding on to my purity. Well, that I later got to know.)

A week later, as I was leaving my study class, I met Dave, a friend of Sam (I was not aware).
Dave: Hi Tracy

Tricia: hello, it’s Tricia

Dave: Oh… pretty name fit for a pretty lady... I’m Dave, how are you doing?

Tricia: I’m fine.

Dave:  I know you don’t have time, but I just want to invite you to a book fair. We have some authors to come talk about their works, so I figured you may want to come.

Tricia: Ermm…. I’m quite busy...

Dave:  it’s on a weekend… next week to be precise. Time is 5 pm at the Denim’s multipurpose hall behind Stacy’s Suites in town.

Tricia: ok... I’ll be there

Dave: can I come to pick you?

Tricia:(Smiles) No, Thanks… I’ll find my way there.

Dave: Ok… then… thanks.

Tricia: Alright. Bye

We both the parted ways. I wondered how Dave got to know my love for leisure reading, to invite me to a book fair. Well, I figured it will be an inspirational outing, so relaxed my mind. As I got back, Tina was in, so I informed her. 

Tricia: hello Tina

Tina: Hi dear, what’s up?

Tricia: I’m fine. How has been your day?

Tina: cool… done with study for today?

Tricia: yea… need to rest a while. Meanwhile I got an invite from Dave, the guy in Mass communication department. It’s a book fair happening this weekend, and I’d like you to come along with me.

Tina: (laughs) no way… he invited you not me… so...

Tricia: Hey, stop rolling your eyes already… it’s not a ‘date’... so calm down.

Tina: well, I’ll check if Sam will be going, that’s only time I’d go. Weekends is our time

Tricia: it’s not a ‘couple’ night stuff… Do you always have to bring him up in our talks?...

Tina: I’m sorry, but he’s part of me now…

Tricia:  whatever…

The day finally came and we met at the book fair. The setting was like dinner set up. As I walked in, Dave came towards me and ushered me to a seat. Once the program started at 6pm, he came and sat with me. 30 minutes later, Tina and Sam walked into the hall.

Sam: Hey Dave, what’s up?

Dave: I’m good… you?

Sam: I’m cool... oh! Wow… look who we have here- the “hard-to-get” smart lady of Law department, having time outside the walls of the class…

Tricia: Well, Sam I’m here for the inspirational talk show…

Sam: I’m sure you have a thing for my friend Dave. [Tina was smiling now]

Dave: Hey Sam, just have your seat and leave her alone, ok.

Sam: Alright.

The talk lasted for an hour and then they switched to the next session, the dinner party to end the program. I felt I needed to leave, as things were getting too edgy, but based on the location of the venue, it will be difficult to get a public taxi at that time. So I had to tell Dave, I needed to leave.

Tricia: Dave… I need to go now

Dave: So soon… this is the crux of the program. Please stay for some minutes. It’s should not always be books. A pretty lady like you needs to ease out and have fun.

Tricia: yea… but I need to get home now... please. Ok. Can you drop me off? no Taxi is coming by.

Dave: Of course my lady.

So we walked out of the hall, towards his car, but I decided to stay at the back seat, instead of the front seat. He felt that was odd, but let me be. He placed the key in the ignition, but didn’t start the car, instead he was staring at me. I looked up to meet his gaze…

Tricia: Dave, any issue with the ignition?

Dave: Not really…. Erm. Tricia, I’m really attracted to you…. I love you deeply… please can you do me a favour and be with me just for tonight? You’re pretty and I want to know you beyond the external.

Tricia: oh! No Dave…. Please I need to be home now, this is not the reason I came here.

Dave: I can’t resist you…can’t you see...? I thirst for your love… now we’re this close… we’d go home… but my dear, I need some fun tonight with you…

With that he climbed to the back seat, to get hold of me but I pushed the door to my side, thankfully it wasn’t locked, so I ran off. He was upset, as he had no idea the door was not well locked, and He ran after me…
To be continued…….
[“Beauty and Purity are two treasures that can be found in you, if you stick with Christ” Joan. A.]


Much Love,
Joan, A.

Post a Comment

 
Top